Wednesday, November 5, 2008

landslide....

I have to say congratulations to all you die-hard Obama followers. I can't count myself among your ranks --although I did (somewhat reluctantly--I'm still deep down a Nader fan) give him my vote. The airwaves are ringing with the giddy sounds of liberal news reporters--and I have to say I'm feeling a little giddy myself. I am still reeling over my home state of Indiana going blue for the first time since like 1930 or something. I know Obama will make a good president. I don't think he will be as liberal as I want him to be--or as hard on lobbyists or big businessman as he says he will be--but I know there will be an improvement.

My relief is tempered somewhat by the noticeably absent defeat of constitutional amendments discriminating against gays in both California and Arizona. I am disappointed in my fellow Americans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita,

Yay Obama!!!

Since it was clear that your state would go red anyway, you could've safely voted for Nader to send a message.

I am saddened by the gay marriage bans in California, Arizona, and Florida as well. It's very perplexing to me because these amendments were approved just when it seemed that the country might be really embracing equality. I just can't understand why people do not equate gay rights with civil rights.

Interestingly, apparently the African American vote bolstered the ban in California and likely elsewhere.

"Proposition 8 received critical support from black voters who flocked to the polls to support Barack Obama for president. Blacks voted strongly in favor of the ban, while whites narrowly opposed it and Latinos and Asians were split."

From:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_el_st_lo/ballot_measures

Rita said...

I agree Steph, it amazes me that someone could go to the polls, vote for Obama, and then vote to limit the rights of other people.

Arizona was actually closer than predicted as far as the presidental election was concerned--but you're right I could have safely voted for Nader.