Monday, February 4, 2008

peeve

At the risk of sounding like I spend all my free time at the grocery store--I do have another peeve that's been bothering me, and I wonder if it happens to anyone else.

The situation is generally when I just have a few items--and maybe I have one of those hand baskets. I'm in line, and the people in front of me are either holding their items or don't have many. The little conveyor belt is running and I'm trying to put my items on it in some orderly fashion. For some reason I like for my groceries to be orderly when I lay them out there for all to see. Why is it that cashiers--who have complete control over the conveyor belt--will let the thing run on and on while someone like me is desperately trying to keep their grocery items in line? Have you had this experience? You keep sliding your groceries back to keep from encroaching upon the person in front of you's "conveyor space" meanwhile the cashier --who could easily stop the belt because its not actually serving any purpose at this time--pretends he/she doesn't notice your struggle.

Tell me, is this an intentional power play--or is it just my insanity??

No comments: