Thursday, February 12, 2009

Potsie Scheme

For some reason, while listening to NPR once again mention the Ponzi scheme executed by Bernard Madoff, I started to wonder why that name, Ponzi, always makes me laugh.

Flashback--about 25 years ago (maybe more--ok, yeah more). I am the youngest of 5 children. The breakdown is as follows: Marie Anne, Paul, Hugh, Chris, and me--baby Rita (nickie to my family). My brothers and I used to play little make-believe games most likely to keep Chris and Hugh from killing each other. One of our favorites was to play "Happy Days".

Paul was always Fonzi--always. You might think that I played the part of Joanie--but no, that would make too much sense. As a little tomboy I was usually Spike--and sometimes Chachi. Who's Spike? Spike was Fonzi's cousin--before Chachi got introduced to the show. Think of Spike as a miniature Fonzi--complete with leather jacket.

Chris and Hugh alternated between Richie, Ralph, and Potsie Weber. How they behaved--well how "cool" they were dictated what character they got to play. The highest level they could ever achieve was Richie. Their parts, unlike Paul's and mine, were not secure however. Say something stupid and "Richie" would get demoted to Ralph. Do something completely "uncool" and guess what? You're a Potsie.

Potsie/Ponzie --either way you're bound to feel pretty stupid.

No comments: