Monday, March 30, 2009

Politics

Not people politics--dog politics.

I've been thinking recently about how different a dog's sense of personal space is than ours.

Dogs that are total strangers will sniff and lick each others a holes and other private parts.
but if I call one of my mutts to come to me--and the other is in the way, she will just whine, wag her tail, and look at me--but will not bother the other one. I guess there's no "excuse me" in dog language.

My dog, Rizo, is obsessed with the frisbee--she brings it with her everywhere she goes. She often pees on it or lets my other dog, Jeckyll pee on it. She'll still pick it up--sometimes like a bowl of pee--and bring it to me to throw. Eeeewww.
yet if another dog comes near her dog dish--forget it

I find this fascinating.

1 comment:

girl with no name said...

i think its strange that my dog hates it when other dogs sniff her butt. This is supposed to be basic "getting to know you" social skills, and she'll sniff their butts. But if we are at the dog park and another dog invades her personal space to check her out, she will become aggressive. And that dog better not even think about humping her...
This behavior only just arose in the past 6 months or so, not sure what brought on the change...