Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More to come

Yesterday morning I read about a couple in California who both lost their jobs. Not able to handle the stress of raising 5 kids in these tough economic times, they allegedly shot all five children the themselves. They faxed a suicide note to the local TV station explaining their actions. Apparently they owed $15,000 to the U.S. government and were waiting for a $10,000 pay out from the insurance company from a recent car accident. When their bodies were found, the car was packed with belongings. Family and friends said they spoke of moving to Kansas to save money. They never made it.

Today I read of a family in Ohio. The father lost his job and shot his wife, himself and his two kids.

Today on NPR's "Day to Day," they discussed this phenomenon. They even have a name for it "familicide". Why must there be a name? Naming something is giving it power--making it possible to contemplate. This act is beyond my contemplation, beyond my comprehension. The expert on the show said it had nothing to do with the economy. I'm not sure that I buy that. I think we are going to see more and more drastic actions being taken by desperate people. Petty crime will likely go up as will suicide. How desperate (not to mention disturbed) must you be to take the lives of your own children?

I consider myself incredibly lucky that I still have a job and a family/friend support system. Hopefully we can be present physically and emotionally for our less fortunate citizens.

No comments: