Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Geraldine Ferraro and Me

Just when I was complaining that nobody had been talking about Geraldine Ferraro--here she comes! At first I was kind of embarrassed that she had made a somewhat racist remark about Obama's campaign after I had talked about her being a hero of mine. But the more I read about what was said and what's been said since, the more I like her. Geraldine Ferraro is as unrefined a politician as they come--which is probably why she never made it. I was reading a New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/us/politics/13ferraro.html?ref=us) about her this evening and it hit me that Geraldine Ferraro is the politician that I would be--and why I would never make it as a politician. She gets heated and says what's on her mind--sometimes its offensive--but you can tell she's got passion. It's too bad we don't like our politicians to be passionate. In some ways, I understand--but in others--isn't it kind of refreshing to see that they are human? Like the "Howard Dean Scream"--what was so wrong about that anyway? Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending being politically incorrect--or what she said, but I have to admit, she's pretty darn gutsy.

No comments: