Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Paying for Love


No, this blog is not about Eliot Spitzer or any of the other tens of thousands of men and women who have participated in prostitution (Kinsey estimated 70% of all men had participated at some point in their lives). This is about paying for love in a different way--pets. Yesterday I was browsing craigslist while my computer was processing an image, (I had to say that in case my boss reads this--really, it was processing). I came across this link

"PETITION: Ask Obama to adopt rather than buy dog. NOT politicall
Obama has made it public that he has promised his daughters a dog. He would set such a great
example if he adopted from a shelter or foster care. Please sign and pass on. Animals desperately need homes.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/tell-obama-to-adopt-when-he-gets-his-daughters-a-dog"

In the first place, let me just say that I think it is ridiculous to pay for a purebred dog (even though a few members of my immediate family have done so--I still think its stupid). I have two adopted dogs and they are head and shoulders better than any purebred I've ever met (no, I'm not biased at all!). On the other hand, I was captivated when Barney the Beagle won Best in Show at Westminster--he was pretty cute. But for the most part, I find purebreds to be dull.

I also feel that if someone is running for office--especially the executive office of the United States--that they are inviting a scrutiny of their personal lives. Much the same as I don't feel sorry for Brittany Spears who begged for attention for so long and now is feeling the adverse effects, I don't feel sorry for those running for or in political office when some aspects of their lives are exposed. I don't personally care much about it, and it does make me mad that the media makes a circus about it; but in this day and age, I do feel that people should come to expect it. However, this seems to be going a bit far. There are many ways in which candidates could make good examples: the cars they drive (we've already heard about that one), whether they shop at locally-owned businesses or multi-million dollar corporations, whether they wear clothes that were made in sweatshops, if they take public transportation when available, what kind of floor coverings are in their house?, do they have extra insulation for an energy efficient home?, what percent of their income is donated to charity every year (I'm sure we know that one as well), when its yellow...do they let it mellow? Wait..I'm going to start a petition that says "Tell Hilary to Let it Mellow when Its Yellow and Save our Water Resources"--will you sign it?




4 comments:

willthespill said...

I totally think you should start the yellow....mellow petition (and make a bumper sticker while your at it), but as a fan of citrus soft drinks, I wonder if your tag "mellow yellow" may pull in a different crowd than you are looking for.

Anonymous said...

Who could resist that face?

I'm not sure if it's taking it too far, but I hope Obama does adopt a shelter dog. Maybe a little push from the public every once and awhile to do the right thing really would help influence those who can influence others.

Gore got criticized for his big mansion, and it led him to make some major green improvements--including some of the things you mentioned, I think.

Is the dog issue really on the level of leaving it mellow? i guess you could argue that it is, given the state of our water resources.

Rita said...

Here's one answer to your argument as to whether the two issues are on the same level
http://wastenotwantless.blogspot.com/2008/01/if-its-yellow-let-it-mellow.html

Anonymous said...

You're right...urging folks to leave it mellow could save trillions of gallons...impressive and important for the environment, which is arguably a much more pressing issue than what happens to domesticated species.

I guess what I meant is that it's just not exactly socially acceptable in many circles to talk about pee and poo and suggest to people how to deal with it so specifically.

In that sense, your suggestion would be taking the personal responsibility watchdog attitude to a whole new level.