Monday, March 31, 2008

I want to ride my...


I was attacked by a woman in a giant SUV today. She was upset about something I'd done on my bike and chose to scream at me over her little girl that was sitting in the passenger seat. I wanted to say so many things to this woman, but, in respect for the child, I chose to say, "I'm sorry." I thought it was a nice thing to say, but it seemed to infuriate her. She shouted, "If you're going to ride your bike, you should learn how to ride it!"
This upset me on so many levels. Every day, as I ride to work, I deal with drivers who choose to ignore my presence. They encroach on the bike lane, honk at me if I'm forced to ride in the real lane due to narrow roads and no bike lane, turn right without signaling, and countless other offenses. I was guilty of not coming to a complete stop at a red light when I was going to turn right. On the face of it, I was wrong; but in lieu of what I am up against every day I think it was a minor offense. I understand that many people get their kicks by shouting at other drivers and "flipping the bird" at every error whether intentional or not. I personally choose to believe that most of these little mishaps are just mistakes in judgement or lapses in attention. Yes, they sometimes cause accidents, but if you're wary enough to see it, you should just be glad that you were and cut a little slack. That's just me. I know others who choose road rage and think my method is weak. I couldn't help but feel sorry for that little girl. If this woman screamed at me like that--even after I apologized, what must her life be like? I felt like shouting back, "if you're going to have a child, you should learn to control your anger!"
The main thing that bothered me though was her attitude that me riding a bicycle was somehow encroaching on her rights to drive a gigantic, gas-guzzling SUV. Huh? How about, "If you're going to drive an SUV, you should have a good reason."
Am I getting special "privilege" to reduce carbon emissions and fuel use by those who choose to ignore the problem of non-renewable resources and climate change? Well I just want to say, thank you to all the folks that choose to have a carbon footprint larger than the Grand Canyon. Thank you for letting me breath in your exhaust as I take up less than my allotted 3 feet of space against the curb. Thanks for the air pollution and the noise pollution. Mostly, thank you for allowing me and my bicycle to risk life and limb navigating through a world full of motorized machines that could grind me into the pavement while the driver talks to her lawyer on her cell phone. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have been seriously yelled at by a motorist while riding my bike for a minor infraction. In my case, it was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign on a college campus--with no cars on the cross street. People really watch you like a hawk when you ride.

This incident, especially how she said, "if you're going to ride a bicycle...," and your others add to my sense that a lot of motorists hate cyclists because of some (false) perception that cyclists slow them down. What's up with that?

Why is it so hard to see that you're one less car adding to the congestion? Not to mention the resource extraction, pollution, etc for the sake of future generations (like the one riding in the passenger seat of that SUV).

Well, on behalf of myself and my little member of the next generation, I want to thank you for riding (without the sarcasm). Your efforts are appreciated--maybe just not by everyone--could it be guilt?

Defamer said...

Not guilt. Just straight, unedited road-rage. Remember the last time you were sitting in your car cursing the idiot driving next-to/in front of you? Did your ire last once they turned the corner and you were alone? Haven't you made the same mistake? I'll bet that woman went home, put a smile on and forgot all about it.

This is a problem with the human condition in America today. We don't love our neighbors because we don't know them. I'm pretty sure that we can't legislate that change so I'd suggest practicing tolerance. We shouldn't respond to slights with slings and arrows. It is enough to respond by showing a little humanity. Pain is not a sign of weakness. Express yourself: Don't project onto other people.